- Calories: 184
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Sodium: 248mg
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 12g
Black Bean Soup Recipe
Hereâ€™s a black bean soup recipe that you can serve to your vegetarian and gluten free friends. Chili powder and lime juice give this vegetarian recipe for black bean soup a nice kick.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream, for garnish
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh tomato, for garnish
- Sift and sort through the beans and remove any stones and broken beans. In a large pot, place sorted beans and enough water to cover by 3 inches. Do not cover with a lid. Bring the water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Continue simmering for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and set aside.
- In another large pot, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sautÃ© until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and oregano and sautÃ© about 5 minutes, or until the jalapeÃ±o is soft. Add cooked beans, water, lime juice and bay leaf (if using) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer 2 cups soup to a blender and purÃ©e. Return to pot and reheat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Add salt and stir.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, chopped cilantro and chopped tomato for garnish, if desired.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2013 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010