- Calories: 156
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
- Sodium: 405mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 13g
Healthy Eggs Benedict Recipe
An ultimate brunch treat, Eggs Benedict is known for its rich hollandaise sauce. This hollandaise sauce is made without butter, so you can enjoy Eggs Benedict for about 150 calories per serving.
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, halved
- 6 light multigrain English muffins, halved and toasted
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp trans fat free margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. In the skillet, lightly brown Canadian bacon over medium heat. Transfer half a slice of bacon to each muffin half.
- In a large skillet, combine 2 inches of water and the vinegar. Bring water to a boil and turn off heat. Lightly coat a small bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Crack one egg into bowl and gently slide egg into skillet. Repeat with each additional egg, one at a time. Cover skillet and let eggs stand for 3 to 5 minutes, or until set. With a slotted spoon, carefully remove eggs from the water, letting excess water drain. Place eggs on top of bacon.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk 1/4 cup of the buttermilk, the cornstarch and salt until smooth. Whisk in egg and remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk. Cook the sauce, whisking constantly, over low heat, until it comes to a simmer. Cook, whisking, for an additional 15 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice and margarine. Spoon hollandaise sauce over eggs. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2013 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010